Debriefing Re: [Edu] REMINDER Re: Scheduling a Zoom meeting: Improving IVOA registration for new data service providers

Renaud Savalle renaud.savalle at obspm.fr
Sat Oct 14 16:36:43 CEST 2023

Dear meeting participants (in BCC), members of the Registry WG and the
Education IG,

Thanks for your participation to our online meeting of Oct 3rd. Here is
a small debriefing message.

Several data providers, both new and established, shared their
experience maintaining a IVOA publishing registry. The OAI-PMH standard,
used for harvesting, requires registry publishers to encapsulate their
VOResources correctly and provide a OAI endpoint with simple web
services used by Full Searchable Registries to collect them
incrementally. General advice is not to implement that interface from
scratch, since existing packages/libraries can be used in several
programming languages. It is also possible to use frameworks (such as
GAVO) which can take care of publication in addition to service
implementation. A web-based "wizard" (Euro-VO Registry) is more adapted
to publishers with a few number of manually published services.
Validation of publishing registries is possible using the online tool
used as the first step (Validating the Harvesting Interface) when adding
a Pub. Reg. on the RofR page (*http://rofr.ivoa.net/regvalidate/
<http://rofr.ivoa.net/regvalidate/>) *It was also advised to do XSL
validation first. See attached document for more details.

Here are 2 PDF documents:

- my 2 introductory slides about the registry big picture, ecosystem and
standards
- the Google Doc we've used to keep track of the discussion and links to
resources and tools. (thanks to Hendrik for taking notes and to Markus
for providing a summary of registry validators and a link to examples of
VO Resources).

We are planning to continue this discussion in Tucson in a face-to-face
splinter during the Interop meeting next month (if you are interested to
participate, please contact me by email or in person there). We might
also re-iterate such an On-Boarding meeting next year. In the meantime
we should try to keep our documentation updated on the IVOA wiki pages.

On the longer term, the Education IG is beginning to search funds to
organize a data providers workshop to train new providers and encourage
best practices among all.

More generally, do not hesitate to use the registry mailing list to ask
questions, as we can help each other there.

Thanks again to all the participants for the interesting discussion.

Renaud Savalle