Lightcurve datamodel?

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Fri Jun 14 16:52:49 CEST 2024

Hi Kelle, Mark,
Hi Igor,
Hi DMers ,

In the revision of Obscore 1.1 , I did provide a mapping for ObsCore
attributes to FITS keywords for the Binospec project .
That was a request from Igor Chilingarian to map the data produced to
ObsCore seemlessly.

I don't know today what has been used in the archive , but Igor may help
to correct and give feedback.

Here attached is the first mapping table proposed .
The Time extension for ObsCore is not covered yet  in this table.

Eager to help for this ,
Best regards , Mireille

Le 13/06/2024 à 21:17, CresitelloDittmar, Mark via dm a écrit :
> Sweet!
> I do think that would be very handy for providers just now defining
> their products.
>
> The Notes are pretty open contributions..
> The first step would be to create a repository for it at:
> https://github.com/ivoa
> If you go there, you'd see the HEIG Note repo as a good/recent
> addition example.
>
> I would be able to create the repo, but don't have the time (at least
> not today) to put together the document framework.
> Mark
>

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 3:00 PM Kelle Cruz <kellecruz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I would be happy with an IVOA Note for FITS serializations!
>
>     And yes, it could also list multiple keywords that are in use for
>     various concepts.  And this oldie but goodie list of Commonly Used
>     FITS keywords can also serve as inspiration. I note that this
>     document also includes a reference to which institution initially
>     adopted it/defined it.
>
>     How does one go about writing an IVOA Note? As you can tell, I'm
>     eager to contribute.
>
>     Kelle
>
>     On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 2:47 PM CresitelloDittmar, Mark
>     <mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>         Kelle,
>
>         For quick reference, this PDF came from:
>         https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/ImageDM
>         That's along the lines of what I meant..
>
>         Optimally, I think this is best provided as an IVOA Note for
>         FITS serializations (rather than within an ObsCore level
>         standard), that could somehow consolidate the model concepts
>         which are repeated in some of these early models, and suggest
>         a FITS name for it.   If done well, it would track down and
>         integrate existing dictionaries like the MAST one you point to
>         in the Issue
>         (https://outerspace.stsci.edu/display/MASTDOCS/Light-curve+Metadata).
>
>         Mark
>

>         On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 2:22 PM Kelle Cruz
>         <kellecruz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>             I also found this PDF which is SUPER USEFUL!  It seems to
>             be part of the idle ImageDM project. Is there any reason
>             not to use this table as a guide?
>
>             btw, I'm updating the table in the issue as I figure
>             things out:
>             https://github.com/ivoa-std/ObscoreTimeExtension/issues/8
>
>             Thanks,
>             Kelle
>
>             On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 12:41 PM Kelle Cruz
>             <kellecruz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>                 What if instead of saying “standard” keywords, we call
>                 them “suggested“ and make the table an appendix?  That
>                 way, we’re not saying people need to “recast” their
>                 FITS files, but we are providing useful information
>                 for folks generating new data products?
>
>                 There’s a real opportunity here to make it easier for
>                 the “common” astronomer to implement and adopt VO-type
>                 concepts and methods which improve data accessibility
>                 and reusability. Providing FITS keyword suggestions is
> [...]

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
Centre de données CDS		Images, Laboratoire ICube &
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34