REGION

Iñaki Ortiz de Landaluce Inaki.Ortiz at sciops.esa.int
Thu May 10 00:30:47 PDT 2007

Hi Francois
What I was proposing was to use the BNF I was describing in the email
before, which I believe is consistent with what Alex was suggesting,
plus the specific syntax of the REGION following the specification of
the footprint service. Therefore my suggestion would be like this:

<predicate> ::= <comparison_predicate>| <between_predicate> |
<in_predicate> | <like_predicate> | <null_predicate>
| <exists_predicate> | <region_predicate>

<region_predicate> ::=
REGION<period><region_verbs>
<left_paren>
<region_specification>
[ <comma> <column_reference> [ { <comma> <column_reference> }... ] ]
<right_paren>

<region_verbs> ::= INTERSECTS | CONTAINS ...
<region_specification>
 ::= !! 'Footprint Service'-like syntax, e.g. RECT LATLON 37 -109.55  41 -102.05

Francois Ochsenbein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, but the Region construct on the quoted page is a formal
> definition on how a REGION is written -- it clarifies the vocabulary
> and the syntax, but it is not defined as a function neither it specifies
> how it's written and combined with other predicates in a query.
> Or did I overlook ?
>
> For circular regions, Alex's examples use a function
>   fDistanceLonLat(lon1, lat1, lon2, lat2)
> which returns the spherical distance between 2 points which
> can be table columns or actual numbers. If the 2 sets of positions
> are in the same frame, there is no need to specify the actual frame --
> just the four numbers are necessary and sufficient for this purpose.
> This function is therefore the only thing which is required to define /
> compute / select on the basis of any combination of circular regions.
> Making the selection efficient is completely different question.
>
> See you soon for lively discussions....
> --francois
>

>> Hi there,
>>
>> Alex suggested us to have a look at the NVO Footprint Service to check
>> whether it can be of use within the ADQL. As he is traveling today and
>> might not be able to start the discussion, I will comment it here,
>> pointing to the relevant pages.
>> In our opinion all that we need to specify a region, not the full
>> predicate construct, is already there.  From the main pages of the
>> Footprint Service (announced last November,
>> http://www.voservices.net/footprint/), you can access a link to a very
>> simple and useful grammar definition that we could use:
>> http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~gyuri/htm/HtmPrimer/regiongrammar.html
>> This looks to us as a clean and reasonable approach. So please disregard
>> my previous suggestion of contacting Arnold Rots for clarification on an
>> eventual STC-like string serialization. Fortunately, everything is
>> already there :-)
>> Please tell us what you think.
>> Inaki

> Francois Ochsenbein       ------       Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
>    11, rue de l'Universite F-67000 STRASBOURG       Phone: +33-(0)390 24 24 29
> Email: francois at astro.u-strasbg.fr   (France)         Fax: +33-(0)390 24 24 17

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The
unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify
the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
for any e-mail if modified.