REGION

Francois Ochsenbein francois at vizir.u-strasbg.fr
Thu May 10 05:16:42 PDT 2007

Hi Inaki,

OK, it's therefore just for the region syntax (not the query), sorry
for the misunderstanding.

But I still don't see how you would write with regions how, for instance,
you would write a search for tuples with overlapping error ellipses.
I mean assuming 2 tables having the same schema (lon, lat, lon_err, lat_err)
you could with the REGION syntax write the condition to get the
tuples with overlapping regions ?

For circles (i.e. assuming that lon_err is always identical to lat_err
on both tables, and I call them just "pos_err"), the predicate

    fDistanceLonLat(t1.lon, t1.lat, t2.lon, t2.lat) < (t1.pos_err + t2.pos_err)

locates all tuples with overlapping error circles. How would you write
this condition with the REGION syntax ?

Cheers, francois