REGION

Francois Ochsenbein francois at vizir.u-strasbg.fr
Wed May 9 10:15:01 PDT 2007

Hi,

Sorry, but the Region construct on the quoted page is a formal
definition on how a REGION is written -- it clarifies the vocabulary
and the syntax, but it is not defined as a function neither it specifies
how it's written and combined with other predicates in a query.
Or did I overlook ?

For circular regions, Alex's examples use a function
  fDistanceLonLat(lon1, lat1, lon2, lat2)
which returns the spherical distance between 2 points which
can be table columns or actual numbers. If the 2 sets of positions
are in the same frame, there is no need to specify the actual frame --
just the four numbers are necessary and sufficient for this purpose.
This function is therefore the only thing which is required to define /
compute / select on the basis of any combination of circular regions.
Making the selection efficient is completely different question.

See you soon for lively discussions....
--francois