Signing XML

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Wed May 27 21:05:47 CEST 2015

Greetings, all.

Consider this as long-timebase esprit de l'escalier....

Way back in 2012 (and I think <http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/voevent/2012-September/thread.html> may have been the last gasp) there was discussion of the process and requirements for signing XML VOEvent packets.

As part of that discussion, I talked of a signing protocol which didn't depend on the famously aggravating complexities of the XML DigSig and Canonicalization recommendations.  It wasn't deemed to be of interest here, but the approach continued to nag and nag at me, and in a couple of bursts of procrastination I finished off Java and C implementations for distribution, and wrote it up for publication.

See:

  * blog post: http://text.nxg.me.uk/2015/b65m
  * preprint: http://arxiv.org/abs/1505.04437 (includes some performance discussion)
  * code: https://bitbucket.org/nxg/xoxa

I mention this here really for old times' sake, rather than in the expectation that this is a currently live problem for the group.

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk