0MQ: The Intelligent Transport Layer

John Swinbank swinbank at transientskp.org
Thu Jan 5 09:11:04 PST 2012

Hello,

On 27 Dec 2011, at 21:22, Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:

> The prospect of many thousands of parallel vTCP connections is very appealing
> either ...
>
> Remember too, for some events to be useful (e.g. GRB followup) they
> cannot be delivered 12 hours later, so the problem (at least a major use-case)
> has to also solve the question of how to deliver 10K (or is it 50K, or 100K?) events
> in a matter of *minutes*.  I don't think the bar napkin on which vTCP was designed
> was big enough to consider that case thoroughly 8-)

Just for amusement, I wrote a simple test to see how this might work. My results & the code that generated them are at <https://github.com/jdswinbank/VOEvent-Transport>.

Broadly speaking, maintaining a rate of 2e6 events in 12 hours (~50 events/second), or even 50K events in 5 minutes (167 events/second), was pretty doable. My simple VOEvent generator ran out of steam trying to send 100K events in 5 minutes (333 events/second), though.

I certainly don't suggest that's a comprehensive test of the protocol – the aim of the exercise was simply my personal education – but perhaps the code is of interest to others.

Cheers,

John