0MQ: The Intelligent Transport Layer

Roy Williams roy at caltech.edu
Thu Jan 5 09:28:55 PST 2012

Thanks for this work, John, I think after all the talking, you are the
first to actually run some tests! But ......

When I fetch the paper mail from the mailbox in front of my house, I
have no difficulty carrying the quantity of paper. Not so easy is the
task of separating out unwanted mail, connecting messages with their
previous context, and deciding how to respond to what is left. On the
publishing side, I have no problem carrying 100 blank envelopes (or even
1000!), but it would take me a long time to write 100 letters. Therefore
let us not buy super trucks that can carry up to 1000 kg of envelopes!
Because the rate-limiting step is not the bulk of the messages, but
rather the evaluation of those messages.

We could investigate ways to farm out event annotation and decision into
remote ('cloud') servers. We could bundle events to get more efficiency
in the evaluation. We could split streams to multiple servers. We could
have a sequence of decision filters of increasing sophistication. There
are a lot of dimensions to this problem.

Roy

--
---
Caltech LIGO