Transport discussion

Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Jan 4 00:11:20 PST 2012

Hi,

I was very pleased to see the level of active discussion on the list recently about transport protocols. It was interesting to hear about people's experiments with new mechanisms and I think it is important that we continue to track such technologies. However, I would like to reiterate the position that the IVOA VOEvent WG does not nor intends to mandate any particular transport mechanism. We are happy, however, to define new protocols that may be of use to the community (such as TCPV specified in the IVOA Note on Transport Protocols (http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/Notes/VOEventTransport/)) or to provide guidelines on how existing (third-party) technologies should be used by the VOEvent community (such as Jabber/XMPP). It is along these latter lines that we intend to "standardize" the transport infrastructure this year (there is prior art in such standardization of security and web service technologies within the IVOA) and I look forward to the participation of many of you in this process. Please continue to use this list to discuss and report on transportation issues (and other VOEvent-related matters).

	Cheers,

	Matthew (VOEvent WG Chair)