VOEvent v2.0 is ready for prime time

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Mar 23 07:07:25 PDT 2011

On Mar 23, 2011, at 4:20 AM, Norman Gray wrote:

>> Please respond:  Ready for RFC?    Yes ( )     No ( )
>
> I think it's ready for RFC as soon as the <Reference> discussion is finished

That's my perception, too.

We've had 5 responses to my little poll:  2 for, 2 against, 1 neither.  (Perhaps more than was to be expected :-)  In addition, I think a neutral observer would interpret Rick's "no" as equivalent to Norman's "ready for RFC after reference is done".  The most evident response has been a non-response.  One might suggest that such is unsurprising in the IVOA paradigm.  Discussions of IVOA sociology are directed elsewhere (far, far elsewhere).

Which is to say that we obviously will only move to RFC when the current open question is resolved.  So let's resolve it.  This may need to wait until after the VAO team meeting this week, or perhaps interested parties can have a food fight over lunch.

Since it was bringing the document to PR that forced this discussion, I'm loathe to move the document back to WD with the only result being to remove the motivation to finish the discussion.  But then, yesterday's "process" discussion at the team meeting has likely left others as well as myself with exceptionally little tolerance for more discussion of same.  Interested readers are directed to Andrew Pickering's "The Mangle of Practice" as the acme of such discussions.

Rob