VOEvent v2.0 is ready for prime time

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Wed Mar 23 07:20:36 PDT 2011

On 23 Mar 2011, at 15:07, Rob Seaman wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2011, at 4:20 AM, Norman Gray wrote:
>
>>> Please respond:  Ready for RFC?    Yes ( )     No ( )
>>
>> I think it's ready for RFC as soon as the <Reference> discussion is
>> finished
>
> That's my perception, too.
>
> We've had 5 responses to my little poll:  2 for, 2 against, 1
> neither.  (Perhaps more than was to be expected :-)  In addition, I
> think a neutral observer would interpret Rick's "no" as equivalent
> to Norman's "ready for RFC after reference is done".

Indeed, that was my "no".  And as far as Norman's comments are
concerned....

> The problem with a format/mime attribute is that (reiterating my
> meaning and format which one can distinguish in any particular case,
> but which someone else might reasonably draw elsewhere, and which
> might be different in a different application.  I don't believe that
> boundary is stable enough to be baked into a protocol.
>
> Doug noted that the ObsTAP list is dealing with the same problem,
> and (from his message of 2011 March 21 19:53; I haven't been keeping
> up with that list) they now have a format plus two levels of science
> type, one layer of which is to be defined in the standard and the
> other by the data provider.  This appears to end up with _three_
> controlled vocabularies.  That's the road we're travelling down in
> VOEvent: it doesn't seem an attractive destination to me, but is an
> inevitable consequence of trying to pin down the meaning/format
> boundary.
>
> So what I suggest is skipping a format/mime attribute, and instead
> having a single @meaning attribute, the value of which is a URI
> (which may name a SKOS vocabulary concept but need not).  This is to
> be compared case-sensitively [1], so it's cheap to compare, and the
> comparison can be done as a string, with no network access required
> [2].
>
> That's probably enough.  If something is a finding chart, you
> probably don't need to know beforehand whether it's JPEG, PNG or
> GIF, because you can handle all of them (and if you can't, and it
> matters that much, use the 'Accept' header).  If it's a catalogue,
> then a client application would I imagine be able to handle a
> SExtractor catalogue amongst others; if the provider thinks it's
> likely to matter which one it is, then the provider can give the
> @meaning as a SExtractor catalogue, as Rick illustrated.  Any client
> which doesn't know what a SExtractor catalogue is, isn't going to be
> able to use it anyway.  The same goes for Rick's
> #SwiftByteFormatStream and 'telemetry'.  If some higher-level
> application needs to know that #SwiftByteFormatStream is telemetry,
> there are ways of telling it that which this spec doesn't have to
> concern itself with.

It's a bit wierd to drop the standard MIME-ish attributtes and replace
them just with semantics.   The solution with a format type would have
helped those who don't want to know about semantics (i.e. look at
"format=" and ignore "meaning=") but since VOEventicists are semantic
savy (and the VOEvent hackers can produce a hard-wired table to
convert semantics into MIMEish type) then - hey! - I'm good.  Off goes
the standard.  The changes to the changes to the docs are minimal.

Rick