Is VOEvent v2.0 ready for prime time?

Roy Williams roy.williams at ligo.org
Tue Mar 22 10:42:06 PDT 2011

> Please respond:  Ready for RFC?    Yes (X)     No ( )

Rob
Most of the discussion so far has not changed the schema, only grooming
and dressing for the document. Adding a picture of the schema,
correcting citations, what is promised for the future, etc.

There have been suggestions of minor changes to the schema itself, to
change the attribute 'type' to be two attributes. Which seems like a
minor change to me.

The problem with just setting it aside "for later" is that the
discussion cools to zero Kelvin and it just sits there for another year
with no progress. Meanwhile the world turns whether the IVOA likes it or
not, and we find that LSST and GAIA and LOFAR and VAST have built their
own event reporting infrastructures, one based on VOEvent2beta another
on JSON, another collaborates with Oracle and uses their semantics, etc etc.

Now that we finally have some momentum, this is time to go for it, not
the time to relax back with the nay-sayers.
Roy