VOEvent priorities

Andrew Drake ajd at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 3 14:53:22 PST 2010

Hi Rob,

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Rob Seaman wrote:
> VOEvent needs time series - which is to say that sufficient numbers of our
> diverse user base need time series.  (And those who don't, needn't use this
> v2.0 feature.)  A time series is a "thing" to be described and so belongs in
> <What>.  Native STC usage in VOEvent is limited to <WhereWhen> (where, for
> instance, orbital elements belong as targeting coordinates for future
> observations).  So time series *in VOEvent packets* will not use STC.  (And
> no, I don't see our combining VOEvent's dependent variables with its
> independent variables into one colossal <WhatWhereWhen> element.)

While I certainly agree there is a need for more work on time series
representation within the VO, I am still unsure why "VOEvent needs
time series".
Perhaps those in the WG can once again send examples of work that will
be aided by the inclusion of SimpleTimeSeries with VOEvents. This should
certainly make the source of this need clearer.
Secondly, is there any size limit on the time series that one can include
within a VOEvent?

Thanks,
       Andrew