VOEvent priorities

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Feb 3 16:00:25 PST 2010

Hi Andrew,

> While I certainly agree there is a need for more work on time series
> representation within the VO, I am still unsure why "VOEvent needs
> time series".

The general response is because astronomers often include time series
in their "telegrams" and VOEvent seeks the capability of representing
diverse sorts of such messages.

I welcome specific examples from Berkeley and others of how
SimpleTimeSeries has been and will be used.

However, as chair I'm a little unsure how to respond to a request to
revisit a group decision made more than two years ago at HTU-1.  Has
something changed to cause us to view the question differently?

> Secondly, is there any size limit on the time series that one can
> include within a VOEvent?

Is there a size limit on what you can handle?

If a size limit is needed on a packet, we can legislate this -
although I don't know if XML schema supports such a concept.

Rob