VOEvent priorities

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 3 14:43:19 PST 2010

This misrepresents what I was saying.

I did not advocate putting everything into a massive WhereWhen (though
that would be an obvious solution).
I merely pointed out that SimpleTimeSeries does not follow adopted standards.
It could, with fairly minor restructuring and rewording.
Or one could adopt the light-weight table schema that I suggested.

Somehow, it seems to me that that message does not deserve a full
broadside from the chair that seems to be missing the mark as well.

  - Arnold

Rob Seaman wrote:
> Let me describe how this looks from the viewpoint of the chair.  While
> nobody values a robust discussion more than I do (anybody want to
> challenge that assertion?), engineering choices must be timely or they
> risk becoming moot.  This is the central message of VOEvent-based
> science, after all.
>
> VOEvent is an IVOA standard, but the VOEvent community extends outside
> of the IVOA context.  The people reading this email are the most
> diverse of any IVOA WG - and yet we have found common ground where
> other WGs have not, and done so time-and-again.  It concerns me that
> some of our group have recently expressed private reservations about
> the - hmm, how shall I say? - lack of timeliness of the IVOA process
> in certain instances.
>
> The goal in systems engineering is not to find the optimum solution -
> it is to find a satisfactory solution and then to actually implement
> it.  We should keep this goal of "satisficing" (yes, a real word) in
> mind throughout our discussions.  I might (and have, on occasion)
> recommend the same to other WGs.
>
> VOEvent needs time series - which is to say that sufficient numbers of
> our diverse user base need time series.  (And those who don't, needn't
> use this v2.0 feature.)  A time series is a "thing" to be described
> and so belongs in <What>.  Native STC usage in VOEvent is limited to
> <WhereWhen> (where, for instance, orbital elements belong as targeting
> coordinates for future observations).  So time series *in VOEvent
> packets* will not use STC.  (And no, I don't see our combining
> VOEvent's dependent variables with its independent variables into one
> colossal <WhatWhereWhen> element.)
>
> We will not embed the VOTable schema within the VOEvent schema, so
> time series *in VOEvent packets* will not use VOTable.  VOEvent can
> already reference external content including VOTables, but external
> references do not address the need to embed simple time series in
> transient alert packets.
>
> On the other hand, the SimpleTimeSeries specification is satisfactory
> - and can be made even more so through some small tweaks.  The team
> that created SimpleTimeSeries has demonstrated that they are willing
> to make said tweaks.
>
> Thus, our best approach to a usable solution is SimpleTimeSeries.  We
> undoubtedly passed by other potential solutions on the road from HTU-1
> to today.  There is no convincing argument to discard SimpleTimeSeries
> and turn around to pursue these now.
>
> Now then, I thoroughly expect that the IVOA DAL group or some other WG
> will pursue a "ComplicatedTimeSeries" specification at some point.
> And perhaps in 3-5 years such a thing will exist - and perhaps it will
> be based on STC or VOTable or both.  This will not be timely for our
> purposes, and we have no way of knowing now whether the specification
> resulting from such a process will be useful for our purposes.  If it
> [...]
Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu