VOEvent priorities

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Feb 3 12:48:18 PST 2010

Let me describe how this looks from the viewpoint of the chair.  While
nobody values a robust discussion more than I do (anybody want to
challenge that assertion?), engineering choices must be timely or they
risk becoming moot.  This is the central message of VOEvent-based
science, after all.

VOEvent is an IVOA standard, but the VOEvent community extends outside
of the IVOA context.  The people reading this email are the most
diverse of any IVOA WG - and yet we have found common ground where
other WGs have not, and done so time-and-again.  It concerns me that
some of our group have recently expressed private reservations about
the - hmm, how shall I say? - lack of timeliness of the IVOA process
in certain instances.

The goal in systems engineering is not to find the optimum solution -
it is to find a satisfactory solution and then to actually implement
it.  We should keep this goal of "satisficing" (yes, a real word) in
mind throughout our discussions.  I might (and have, on occasion)
recommend the same to other WGs.

VOEvent needs time series - which is to say that sufficient numbers of
our diverse user base need time series.  (And those who don't, needn't
use this v2.0 feature.)  A time series is a "thing" to be described
and so belongs in <What>.  Native STC usage in VOEvent is limited to
<WhereWhen> (where, for instance, orbital elements belong as targeting
coordinates for future observations).  So time series *in VOEvent
packets* will not use STC.  (And no, I don't see our combining
VOEvent's dependent variables with its independent variables into one
colossal <WhatWhereWhen> element.)

We will not embed the VOTable schema within the VOEvent schema, so
time series *in VOEvent packets* will not use VOTable.  VOEvent can
already reference external content including VOTables, but external
references do not address the need to embed simple time series in
transient alert packets.

On the other hand, the SimpleTimeSeries specification is satisfactory
- and can be made even more so through some small tweaks.  The team
that created SimpleTimeSeries has demonstrated that they are willing
to make said tweaks.

Thus, our best approach to a usable solution is SimpleTimeSeries.  We
undoubtedly passed by other potential solutions on the road from HTU-1
to today.  There is no convincing argument to discard SimpleTimeSeries
and turn around to pursue these now.

Now then, I thoroughly expect that the IVOA DAL group or some other WG
will pursue a "ComplicatedTimeSeries" specification at some point.
And perhaps in 3-5 years such a thing will exist - and perhaps it will
be based on STC or VOTable or both.  This will not be timely for our
purposes, and we have no way of knowing now whether the specification
resulting from such a process will be useful for our purposes.  If it
such a thing does add significant utility, then this can be supported
as a feature of a future VOEvent update.

By all means, let's challenge SimpleTimeSeries with how it might
support various VOEvent use cases.  We should use our efforts to
improve the solution on the table, not to saw the legs out from under
it.

Rob