VOEvent priorities

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 3 11:47:04 PST 2010

Looking at this SimpleTimeSeries specification, it looks to me like it
is establishing a new standard for STC metadata, different from the
existing IVOA standard.

That does not seem like a sensible approach.

The schema that I suggested a while back was compliant with existing
standards:

    http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/nvometa/STC/stcTab.xsd

Example:

    http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/nvometa/STC/STCTable.xml

If you don't want to specify flux density in the coordinate system, it
can be simplified to:

    http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/nvometa/STC/STCTable2.xml

UCDs can be added, the table description can be improved, but the
coordinate definition structure provides compliance with existing space
and time coordinate metadata standards.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Rob Seaman wrote:
> It appears that the many diverse activities in the VOEvent
> *community* may be distracting from what's going on in the VOEvent
> *working group*.
>
> Just to be clear, the top priority of the working group is to bring
> VOEvent v2.0 to an IVOA recommendation by the Victoria InterOp in May.
> V2.0 is defined by its support for time series (there are a handful of
> smaller priorities).  The WG chair intends that this support will be
> provided by minor tweaks (if any are indeed needed) to the Berkeley
> SimpleTimeSeries.

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu