VOEvent session

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 13 17:14:43 PST 2010

On 12/13/2010 4:58 PM, Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:
> So this added complexity appears to be for a single use case, the desire to
> pass light curves in the packet.  What if we have other use cases where
> I want
> to include a full spectrum so my machine can classify a SN, or a table of
> orbital elements so I can predict a future observation, or the light
> curve of
> a moving source?   Where does it end?  And do we do it all with an IVOA
> model of something or a custom simple version?

This is considered in the paper "Extending VOEvent for more complex
data", with a number of examples, at
http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/Notes/VOEventTables/20100323/

The answer is that you can always link the remote data, but sometimes it
is good to be able to send simple data along with the message packet
itself. In the past this meant Param and Group of Param. The note
suggests that an extension to Table is not difficult to parse and yet
much more expressive.

Roy