VOEvent session

Mike Fitzpatrick fitz at noao.edu
Mon Dec 13 16:58:52 PST 2010

So this added complexity appears to be for a single use case, the desire to
pass light curves in the packet.  What if we have other use cases where I
want
to include a full spectrum so my machine can classify a SN, or a table of
orbital elements so I can predict a future observation, or the light curve
of
a moving source?   Where does it end?  And do we do it all with an IVOA
model of something or a custom simple version?

If the requirement is that a machine be able to make decisions based on
what's
in the packet, the buy-in to support (from my perspective, parse/create) a
packet
is pretty huge.  There also seems to be a lot more processing required to
sort
a stream of many thousands of messages to decide if a particular packet is
of interest (or is supported).

OTOH, is the transport of events were designed to act like a messaging
system
then we could again have a lightweight voevent packet followed by an
arbitrary
payload of whatever was desired.  Likewise, the "backbone" could be designed
to make it easy to satisfy requests for reference material (e.g. a SEAP call
back
to the originating repository).  In the first case, we may be transmitting a
lot more
data, but we're doing that anyway if it's already in the packet.

-Mike