Consensus

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Dec 13 15:58:38 PST 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 5:50 PM, Roy Williams wrote:

> Perhaps this would be a good time to start that discussion again?

The Chair apologizes for any lost opportunities at consensus-building this past year.  I appear to have left "every affected user...at least a little unhappy", without however reaching the contingent compromise.

The compromise described by Arnold has, I think, not been distributed to more than a few individuals.  I was under the impression that there was significant overlap in positions among those individuals.  There is no saying, however, how the more recent IVOA time-series efforts may have affected these earlier discussions.

By all means, this is as good a time to restart all these discussions as we've seen since Hotwired II.  I'm almost tempted to arrange Hotwired III (or maybe II.5) for this spring to focus on rebuilding the consensus for v2.0 ...at the very least I'm sure we could make everybody much more unhappy :-)

I don't suppose there is a chance for a quorum at "Telescopes from Afar" (http://tfa.cfht.hawaii.edu)?  A Mai Tai is a powerful agent of consensus-building.

Rob

PS - sorry for the bombardment of replies - I started two separate omnibus replies over the weekend and decided that shorter, more targeted, messages would be better.