Consensus

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Dec 13 14:48:59 PST 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Consensus is defined by Merriam-Webster as, firstly - general agreement and, secondly - group solidarity of belief or sentiment.

I spent the weekend mulling:

	1) to study or ruminate; ponder
	2) to think about carefully; consider

while wishing I was rather:

	3) to heat, sweeten, and flavor with spices for drinking

> I do NOT believe that 'consensus' means we collect everyone's belief and put them all into a spec,

That is not the situation we have, but certainly we should avoid such.

I'm enough of a Pollyanna (it's the pigtails) to think that general melancholy need not be the case.  See:  "Getting to Yes" (http://bit.ly/gOErvi, first chapter: http://bit.ly/i0OiYX).

> IVOA is now defining a common understanding of TimeSeries, why should this differ from the VOEvent version of the same data-type?

Folks should read v0.1 to get a sense for the direction and status of this effort:

	http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/LightCurves/STSP.pdf

Is "data-type" really equivalent to "data model"?

Rob