VOEvent session

Mike Fitzpatrick fitz at noao.edu
Fri Dec 10 05:42:22 PST 2010

My opinions on the added complexity in 2.0 are well-known to the WG leads,
but I also promise to document them in the mailing list for the record and
yet more discussion.

What is more concerning however is the development of an IVOA standard
model for a Time-Series and the idea that VOEvent 2.0 will not be
interoperable
with that standard.  Similarly, a Time-Series access protocol is also being
developed and questions can logically be raised about whether a SEAP service
will/can allow the same sorts of queries of TS data from event packets, how
can
TS data in events be discovered by the Registry or ObsTAP, etc.  Given the
progress at this Interop, I think the bar to justifying the development of
"private" representation (or three!!!) of TimeSeries in VOEvent 2.0  has
certainly
been raised and merits more discussion.

Matthew left out the discussion about the role of Repositories and possible
impacts:  Repos are apparently not required to sync ALL events but can
choose
to store only certain streams, this leads to a complication of tracing the
event
trail since then all repos would need to be queried to rebuild the event
stream
for a particular originating event (if not, please describe how that would
work).
It is similar to the idea of a 'publishing registry' vs a 'full registry' in
terms of
search capability and harvesting, is the concept the same for repositories?
Without at least an IVOA Note explaining the role of repositories envisaged
in the VOEvent network it is hard to image how one might create a generally
useful repository, it is even more difficult to image how client software
might
create use functionality from the data available in these repositories using
IVOA standards.  Is such a Note forthcoming?

There was also some cheerful banter on the meaning of the word 'consensus',
but Matthew can attest I've said too much already today.

-Mike