VOEvent session

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri Dec 10 08:42:46 PST 2010

On 12/10/2010 5:42 AM, Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:
 > My opinions on the added complexity in 2.0 are well-known to the WG
 > leads, but I also promise to document them in the mailing list for
 > the record and yet more discussion.

This is a note on schema complexity for the proposed VOEvent v2.0,
comparing it with VOEvent v1.1. The cojmplexity is in fact REDUCED in v2.0.

The great difficulty in parsing v1.1  was because of the complexity of
the STC schema, which is included. Building a full library requires a
get and set method for all of these elements, explicit and implicit.

There is a HUGE reduction in complexity of V2.0 because it no longer
includes the full STC schema, but rather just the elements it needs.
This is the so-called "veneer" approach -- it looks like STC, but is not
the whole thing.

However, v2.0 adds in the simpleTimeSeries. So the right comparison is
here v1.1+STC vs v2.0+sTS
(each sum is complexTypes + simpleTypes + attributes)

VOEvent-v1.1.xsd        12 + 29 + 18 = 59
stc-v1.20.xsd           45 +130 + 34 = 209
Total complexity = 268, with 80% of that from STC

VOEvent-v2.0.xsd        31 + 59 + 31 = 121
simpletimeseries.xsd    31 + 47 + 44 = 122
Total complexity = 243, with 50% of that from sTS

This we see a slight reduction in schema complexity from v1.1 to v2.0.

Cheers
Roy