A modest proposal for VOEvent

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Feb 20 15:44:00 PST 2009

Howdy,

My goal is to create a draft of the v2.0 VOEvent specification to be
ratified by the WG at Hotwired II.  These are the issues and my
proposals for each:

1) Orbital elements.  See appended message from Francesco.  Pan-STARRS
has been working with the Minor Planet Center to define a VOEvent-
based specification.  We should follow their lead.  The MPC is the
only game in town.

2) Time series.  We need some way to express simple tables within the
packet and more complex tables within the same data stream.  Let's
leverage VOTable for both, perhaps with (extreme) simplifications.

3) General improvements to References.  These are not controversial.

4) General improvements to Params.  (Datatypes and disallowing
duplicates.)  Non-controversial.

5) Improvements to schema as described by Bob Denny.  Non-
controversial.  Our packets must be simple to author and simple to
validate.

6) Modifications to language of spec to accommodate formal
vocabularies.  Non-controversial.

7) Possible small modifications to spec to support functionality such
as registering VOEventStreams, SEAP, Portfolios, etc.  Non-
controversial.

8) Digital signatures and private messaging.  Non-controversial that
this is not a VOEvent issue, per se.

9) Supporting generalized external schema.  Required by Heliophysics
Knowledgebase and to support other external formats in the future.
Non-controversial as long as brokers can ignore what they don't
understand.

10) Moving STC hooks from VOEvent schema to this external structure.
Providing native VOEvent WhereWhen subelements for typical community
targeting use cases.  Technically non-controversial.  Critical to our
continued success.  Applications that need access to gory STC details
will be able to do so.  The majority of applications that don't will
result in (much) simpler packets that can actually be validated
against the schema.

WG action items:

	A) comment now with alternative positions

	B) attend Hotwired if you want to influence the direction of the
standard

	C) handling the spec now will let us focus on functional issues like
transport at Hotwired

Rob
----

Begin forwarded message: