VOEvent and Heliophysics Knowledge Base: new schema

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de
Wed Oct 31 05:03:53 PDT 2007

> Also, I like the effort to tame the LMSAL vocabulary semantically,
> but shouldn't we be leaning on the nature of a thesaurus to develop
> these as separate word lists?  First ask, what lists are needed -
> then ask, what words belong on each list.  It should remain clear,
> as well, that the feature of including an external schema in no way
> demands that the folks supplying such a schema have to invest
> effort up front to develop a VO-compliant vocabulary.  These should
> remain separate options.

I agree that these specialized vocabularies neet to be split off and
left to the responsibility of the pundits at some point, but we're
still at the point of deciding what to do with a vocabulary - any
vocabulary - once you've got one, so being able to use the proto-type
IVOA thesaurus in a solar physics sand-box mode would be helpful.

Rick