VOEvent and Heliophysics Knowledge Base: new schema

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Oct 30 10:41:03 PDT 2007

>> In addition to permitting the enclosure of external schema (in
>> <What> or <Whatever>), [...]

> Maybe <WhatElse> rather than <Whatever>?  "Whatever" rates at about
> 0.9 seamans (the unofficial IVOA unit of glibness) whereas "what
> else" is more like 0.05 seamans.
>
> Rick

If you attended more meetings you'd be able to utter these bon mots
in person - or perhaps they're mal mots - not to be confused with
marmots.

As long as a containing subelement like <ExternalEventMetadata> is
used to keep the feature under control, I suspect the consensus will
be to use <What> itself.  Also, I like the effort to tame the LMSAL
vocabulary semantically, but shouldn't we be leaning on the nature of
a thesaurus to develop these as separate word lists?  First ask, what
lists are needed - then ask, what words belong on each list.  It
should remain clear, as well, that the feature of including an
external schema in no way demands that the folks supplying such a
schema have to invest effort up front to develop a VO-compliant
vocabulary.  These should remain separate options.

...and I think you've confused glibness with hepness and perspicacity
(putting the thesaurus to use myself).

- Rob