UN Science Workshop in Tokyo, June, 2007

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Apr 23 08:30:38 PDT 2007

Hi Silvia,

> as you mention there is plenty of scope for interaction of
> VOEvent with the Heliospheric and Ionospheric community.
>
> However, I am not entirely clear about what you mean with
> 'VOEvent is a reasonable choice for reporting almost any time
> sequence of measurements'. Please could you elaborate?

We set out to build a data and transport protocol that could address
the use case of short latency, high reliability delivery of alert
messaging in a heterogeneous environment.  The key word there is
"heterogeneous", since our format needed to be able to support an
arbitrary collection of dependent variables (<What>) as well as a
self-consistent and interoperable description of the independent
variables of an observation (<WhereWhen>).  As Rick points out, the
various solar and solar system communities have an even greater need
for coherent world coordinate systems than the classic "fixed star"
astronomers.

By addressing the specific problem of transient celestial alert
reporting, we also addressed many of the requirement of a generalized
format for reporting time domain observations.  In fact, VOEvent
could be used to report almost any data from remote instrument
loggers, astronomical or not.  Instrumentation embedded in the canopy
of the Amazon rain forest faces many of the requirements of
mountaintop instrumentation.  I wouldn't likely recommend VOEvent be
used for such purposes, but I also wouldn't automatically reject this
choice.  It depends on questions regarding other parts of the data
transport infrastructure, data handling applications, and ultimately
the experiment and user community in question.

For instance, FITS and IRAF have been used by several non-
astronomical projects over the years, e.g., STScI had a collaboration
with a medical project researching mammogram technology.  We had a
guy sending us pictures of brain slices that he was processing using
astronomical image processing algorithms.

> There have been efforts to standardise data formats for time
> series data - one such standard, becoming more and more popular,
> is CDF:
> http://cdf.gsfc.nasa.gov/
>
> Another data format that is in use is the CEDAR one, used
> especially for ionospheric data, eg:
> http://www.openmadrigal.org/

Do you happen to know if any of the experiments listed in the IHY
site are using these formats, or are otherwise constructed to
interoperate one with the other?

> I don't think there is currently a standard way of reporting
> events, nor of querying for data within a specified time
> range - this is why we drafted the Simple Time Access Protocol
> proposal:
> http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/SimpleTimeAccessProtocol

Yes, I was aware of this, but Rick points out some other requirements
for STAP.  Data transport is also a different discipline than data
storage and retrieval.  Identifying and benefiting from the areas of
overlap is precisely the issue I was trying to generate a discussion
about.

Rob