UN Science Workshop in Tokyo, June, 2007

Frederic V. Hessman hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de
Mon Apr 23 03:16:48 PDT 2007

> However, I am not entirely clear about what you mean with
> 'VOEvent is a reasonable choice for reporting almost any time
> sequence of measurements'. Please could you elaborate?
>
> There have been efforts to standardise data formats for time
> series data - one such standard, becoming more and more popular,
> is CDF:
> http://cdf.gsfc.nasa.gov/

The point was that VOEvent shouldn't be transfering data but
reporting the existence of such data.  Thus, the data format is -
formally - irrelevant.

> I don't think there is currently a standard way of reporting
> events, nor of querying for data within a specified time
> range - this is why we drafted the Simple Time Access Protocol
> proposal:
> http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/SimpleTimeAccessProtocol

As little as the VOEventers generally like STC, we've been there,
done that:  STAP needs STC-compliance to be fully general (if one
reports a solar flare that might be connected with a later
ionospheric radio squak, what's the meaning of "UT"?) and STC needs
(again) to be pushed to support really simple STAP-like queries (via
standard STC time environments, just as we pushed standard sky-
coordinate environments) to minimize the STC-gobblety-gook.

Rick

Dr. Frederic V. Hessman     Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Institut für Astrophysik          Tel.  +49-551-39-5052
Friedrich-Hund-Platz 1         Fax +49-551-39-5043
37077 Goettingen                 Room F04-133
http://www.Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de/~hessman
MONET: a MOnitoring NEtwork of Telescopes
http://monet.Uni-Goettingen.de