UN Science Workshop in Tokyo, June, 2007

Silvia Dalla s.dalla at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 02:21:19 PDT 2007

Dear Rob,

as you mention there is plenty of scope for interaction of
VOEvent with the Heliospheric and Ionospheric community.

However, I am not entirely clear about what you mean with
'VOEvent is a reasonable choice for reporting almost any time
sequence of measurements'. Please could you elaborate?

There have been efforts to standardise data formats for time
series data - one such standard, becoming more and more popular,
is CDF:
http://cdf.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Another data format that is in use is the CEDAR one, used
especially for ionospheric data, eg:
http://www.openmadrigal.org/

I don't think there is currently a standard way of reporting
events, nor of querying for data within a specified time
range - this is why we drafted the Simple Time Access Protocol
proposal:
http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/SimpleTimeAccessProtocol

Best wishes,
Silvia