UN Science Workshop in Tokyo, June, 2007

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sun Apr 22 19:26:02 PDT 2007

> Anybody planning to attend this workshop?

	http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/UNBSS_Tokyo07/

click on through to:

	http://ihy2007.org

and then to:

	http://ihy2007.org/observatory/observatory.shtml

which is an extensive list of instrumentation meant "to provide
global measurements of ionospheric and heliospheric phenomena".  It
occurs to me that one thing we haven't focused enough attention on is
that VOEvent is a reasonable choice for reporting almost any time
sequence of measurements.  The reporting of short latency transient
alerts is only one use case.

In particular, one has to believe that the fifteen different remotely
sited IHY instrument data streams are each completely different in
format and transport.  Many are undoubtedly conceived purely as data
recorders for later retrieval - VOEvent would be an unlikely choice
due to the storage overhead of XML.  But others may report each
measurement in turn, or on some regular schedule.  Simply
standardizing the format for such a joint/community initiative has a
significant value.  Several of these instruments appear to have a
"classic" transient reporting aspect at any rate.

Rob