VOEvent 1.1 new draft with STC elaboration

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Sun May 7 21:51:24 PDT 2006

On May 7, 2006, at 8:39 PM, Steve Allen wrote:

> Is there any desire to add W3C Signature elements for authentication?

Short answer is yes (although that doesn't equate to consensus on the
details).

Long answer is that there are a lot of tactical entanglements
associated with getting v1.1 out the door.  Pinning down a workable
consensus on STC may be enough of a complication for the next
release.  The other proposed changes are clarifications and
simplifications:  fix the id issue, reject role=ack and
role=iamalive, restrict <Who> content to a tiny subset of the
possible options, and replace unbounded natural language description
in <Why> concepts with UCDs.

Would personally be happy to consider additional simplifying changes,
although the schedule for releasing v1.1 should be kept as soon as
possible.  In that spirit, the question is whether signatures (of
whatever detailed description) will simplify VOEvent usage - right
now - or whether they should be embargoed for a future update.

I'm convinced that rigorous document authentication will be required
once VOEvent reaches a certain maturity level.  (I'm becoming more
convinced, in fact, that we'll find we need something more than a
private network is needed to preserve privacy.)  We're asking people
to trust VOEvent to publish their valuable alerts, and to trust
VOEvent by committing their expensive and oversubscribed observing
assets.  Why should they?

Rob