VOEvent draft specification 0.3

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de
Tue Jan 4 08:35:53 PST 2005

Dear colleagues,

As someone very interested in VOEvent but from a totally different
perspective, allow me to respond to Roy's
comments/questions.

First of all, to "heat up" the discussion, I've prepared an RTML
equivalent to the optical flash example done in the
present rtvo.net proposal for VOEvent, called VOTransient: it's
available at our Twiki RTML site:
http://monet.uni-sw.gwdg.de/twiki/bin/view/RTML/ExampleForVOTransient

My point in doing so is definitely NOT to play down the work which has
been done for VOTransient/VOEvent - indeed, I've added
a few very nice things to the most recent working version of RTML by
looking to see where the VOTransient ideas were
coming from.  My points are:
	1) the discussion of VOEvent is obviously still dominated by interest
in transients (which are just one form of event);
	2) that we've been thinking about XML documents/interfaces for quite a
bit longer and for a much broader potential class of
		uses, and hence
	2) >90% of what VOTransient does and what VOEvent is described to have
to do is what the RTML community as well as
		everyone else perhaps NOT interested in transients or events has to
do as well.  This means that one has to be very 		careful when
interpreting the VOTransient diagram