VOEvent Spring 05 workshop?

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Tue Jan 4 07:22:42 PST 2005

Joshua,

Joshua Bloom wrote:
> It would be good for us to formalize and energized some short and
> medium term plans for VOEvents. This forum is a great start but it is
> worth thinking about a 1-2 days workshop where participants can meet
> face to face to hash and hack. First, is there in interest in this for
> the spring (March?)?  Second, can anyone volunteer to host a workshop?
> There are a number of folks West of the Rockies so California (or
> Vegas!) is probably close to the weighted centroid...

Actually this suggestion comes at a good time!

A joint proposal between eSTAR and Robonet-1.0 Projects in the UK, the
MONET Project in Europe, the RAPTOR Project (Los Alamos Laboratory) and
SGM Project (NASA Advanced Architectures and Automation Group) in the
States has just been successful in gaining funding to hold a workshop
to agree protocols for handling "event" notification and market
transactions between robotic telescopes and telescope networks.

Having talked to Roy at the recent AstroGrid rollout meeting, we agreed
that the existing RTML standards developed by the robotic telescope
community should probably form the basis of any further work on the
VOEvent standard. Especially since the RTML is almost certainly going
to turn into the standard lingua franca of the robotic telescope world,
and many of the projects involved are already in the process of
deploying real hardware (and software) on the ground to monitor
transient events. These projects will be both creating and responding
to triggers, however whilst rapid response and followup are important
to us, they are only part of the capabilities that we are developing
for robotic networks.

For more information about the development, and history, of the RTML
standard see Rick Hessman's pages at
http://www.uni-sw.gwdg.de/~hessman/RTML

Our workshop will be held in Edinburgh (UK), at the National e-Science
Centre (NeSC) in early summer 2005. There will be some funding
available to support travel and subsistence of attendees. We hope to
see you there as we believe this workshop will make a good deal of
progress to provide interoperability between the many projects, and a
firm VOEvent standard could be agreed there, as we will ensure that the
standards developed at this workshop will link into the UK AstroGrid
Project, and the European VOTech Project since we are members of both
of these collaborations.

Cheers,
Alasdair.
--
Dr. A. Allan, School of Physics, University of Exeter