new SI prefixes

Norman Gray norman.gray at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Nov 28 13:34:22 CET 2022

François, hello.

On 25 Nov 2022, at 16:39, Francois Ochsenbein wrote:

>> If my arithmetic is right, I see that the side of a rather large barn
>>
>> has an area of approximately 1Qb.
>
>  ... in fact 1Qb = 100m² = a square of 10mx10m (1 are)

That sounds right.  As it happens, I found myself in an agricultural/equestrian context on Saturday (disorienting, flaneur that I am), standing beside a barn, shed, or other miscellaneous farm edifice, the precise use of which was opaque to me, which from memory was about 12m long by 6m high, so in the region of 0.7Qb.

I would post a photo, but this being autumn in Scotland, the photo would be very heavily mud-based.

>  Cheers, François Ochsenbein (retired, but still reading VO news..)

So, a gentleman of leisure!

Best wishes,

Norman

--