new SI prefixes

alberto micol amicol.ivoa at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 28 15:01:42 CET 2022

Mmhhh…

I love Norman’s barn joke (a barn is as roomy as about 1Quetta barns),
but this brings me to the following doubt, could you please clarify it to me?

Our VOUnit REC tells us we should use “barn” and not “b”
(see page 13 of https://www.ivoa.net/documents/VOUnits/20140523/VOUnits-REC-1.0-20140523.pdf <https://www.ivoa.net/documents/VOUnits/20140523/VOUnits-REC-1.0-20140523.pdf> ).

In that sense, while 1 Qb = 100 m**2    is correct in SI,
It seems to me that it is wrong to a VOUnits-compliant parser, where instead it should be written:
1 barn = 100 m**2

Unless I am reading the VOUnits document wrongly,
is this an issue for the VOUnits document?

Thanks and cheers, especially to François (given that I have no occasions to see him other than this)!
Alberto