[towards UcdList 1.5] comments welcome on meta.ref.pid VEP-UCD-006

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Mon Jan 17 15:11:09 CET 2022

Sorry , I just add here the reference to the VEP-UCD proposed by Yan on
this .

check https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/UCDList_1-5_RFM VEP-UCD-006

Hi Semantics ,

I believe more discussion is needed for the organisation of the meta.ref
branch in the UCD tree.

My question is :

     Do we need the /meta.ref.pid/ branch? which usage does it serve not
covered by more precise types of ids?

The role of the UCD should be to classify the role, usage of the
metadata element tagged with this ucd string.

Then Ucds as///meta.ref.xxx/ sorts of ids do the job when the xxx kind
can be resolved with a specific process.

If we use meta.ref.pid , we can just  infer it is an identifier which is
persistent , but can't decide where and how to resolve it.

On the contrary, each meta.ref.ivoid, meta.ref.epic, meta.ref.orcid,
meta.ref.handle, etc... indicate already which sort of service will
resolve them.

/meta.ref/ in the ucd tree already conveys the idea of a persistent
identifier, I guess, because if it would not be persistent, I would not
cite it in a an archive metadata record.

Am I forgetting something here ? any use case where pid cannot be
specified more precisely with a specializedid as the ones above ?

cheers, Mireille

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
Centre de données CDS		IPSEO, Images, Laboratoire Icube
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34