VOUnits maintenance release

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Jun 30 22:52:19 CEST 2021

Hi Norman.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021, Norman Gray wrote:

> 2. It might be worth a refresh of this document in any case, since some of the
> URIs are wrong (it refers to Unity at bitbucket, and references to 'volute' at
> Google Code).  If there were a move to adjust these, I'd want to find
> someplace to share the Unity source code repository.  I'd quite like to see
> Unity used more -- that was a bit of a labour of love, of the
> sunk-without-trace variety!

Not so!  I have recently, and belatedly, started using Unity
(alongside Ucidy, Gregory Mantelet's UCD validator) in taplint,
the TAP validator in STILTS.  At present I'm not using it much,
only to check that units required by TAP DM extensions like ObsCore,
EPN-TAP and ObsLocTAP are legal, but I plan in the forseeable
future to add validation of units (and UCDs) in TAP service
metadata and VOTable content.

Regarding where to host the source code, somewhere on github would
be an obvious choice, but I know you're not a git enthusiast.

Mark

--
Mark Taylor  Astronomical Programmer  Physics, Bristol University, UK
m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk          http://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/~mbt/