purl, vocabularies and ivoa.net

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jun 1 17:45:37 CEST 2017

Hi Alasdair,

On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 08:03:18AM +0000, Gray, Alasdair J G wrote:
> I completely agree with the idea of having a high-level directory
> like vocabularies. However, after that should we not use content
> negotiation to request the specific format that we are interested.
> The metadata about the vocabulary (reproduced in a human readable
> form on the HTML page), could inform clients what formats are
> available.

...except that these clients would then need to parse the HTML.
Which, at least given RDFa, is certainly doable without bad hacks.

But what's the rationale of discarding what seems to me (disclaimer:
I'm just a casual visitor to the semantic web) the recommended (and
sensible) way to publish vocabularies?  And how would you deal with
versioning?

     -- Markus