purl, vocabularies and ivoa.net

Gray, Alasdair J G A.J.G.Gray at hw.ac.uk
Thu Jun 1 10:03:18 CEST 2017

Hi

I completely agree with the idea of having a high-level directory like vocabularies. However, after that should we not use content negotiation to request the specific format that we are interested. The metadata about the vocabulary (reproduced in a human readable form on the HTML page), could inform clients what formats are available.

Best regards,

Alasdair

> On 31 May 2017, at 23:18, Mireille Louys <mireille.louys at unistra.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi Marco ,
>
> Thanks for summarising this issue.
> There is also a need to discover more easily where to find the various vocabularies proposed by the Ivoa .
> I would appreciate to have a link from the IVOA document repository page directly , to a IVOA Vocabulary page like what we have for XML schemata, for instance.
>
> Various vocabularies already exist , in various formats and are used in DAL( datalink, RDF, html), Registry (VOResource litterals, CSV), Theory ( theory vocabulary RDF/SKOS )
> So this page would actually redistribute the link access to the corresponding locations .
> Each of these vocabularies should be maintained in close contact to their WG and users , and I see the role of Semantics more as a coordinator and curator for the long term.
>
> How to organize the vocabulary tree , is still to be decided .
> ivoa.net/rdf  does not mean every file in this directory should be in rdf format but this is somewhat misleading.
> In order to allow to gather all representation formats for some particular vocabulary, I would prefer to have one branch for each vocabulary and the various formats below like :
> ivoa.net/vocabularies/datalink/rdf/datalink-1.0-20151107.rdf
> ivoa.net/vocabularies/datalink/csv/datalink-1.0-20151107.txt
> ivoa.net/vocabularies/theory/skos/vocabForTheory-1.0-20160101.rdf
> ivoa.net/vocabularies/theory/skos/vocabForTheory-1.0-20170509.rdf
> etc...
> and the same for registry vocabularies if needed.
> Each of them could be redirected to another site as purl.obspm.fr or anyother.
>
> If the curator of the vocabulary is close enough to the users , this should work, or am I overlooking some issue here?
> my 2c for the moment,
>
> cheers, Mireille
>

> Le 19/05/2017 à 08:42, Marco Molinaro a écrit :
>> Dear Semantics,
>> Dear Theory,
>> (IVOADoc in CC)
>>
>> during the session this Tuesday, in the "SKOS in VO THeory" talk, it
>> was proposed a change for the vocabulary for Theory VO with patterns
>> pointing to
>>
>> http://purl.ivoa.net/ConceptName <http://purl.ivoa.net/ConceptName>
>>
>> Now (apart from DNS aspects that can be managed on the DNS+IVOADoc
>> side - that's why IVOADoc is in CC), ivoa.net has already a branch
>>
>> http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/ <http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/>
>>
>> that is meant to store vocabularies (Datalink one is already there).
>> Also, the theory vocabulary will actually physically be in Paris, i.e.
>> purl.ivoa.net will simply redirect to it.
>>
>> This email is to try to understand exactly how we can make this things
>> work together, namely:
>> - the purl.ivoa.net and its redirection to Paris (but possibly it
>> should survive in ivoa.net and be used by other parties)
>> - the relationship between purl.ivoa.net and www.ivoa.net/rdf <http://www.ivoa.net/rdf>

> [...]

Alasdair J G Gray
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Assistant Professor in Computer Science,
School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
(Athena SWAN Bronze Award)
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh UK.

Email: A.J.G.Gray at hw.ac.uk <mailto:A.J.G.Gray at hw.ac.uk>
Web: http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~ajg33 <http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~ajg33>