[QUAR] Re: Expressing position in RDF

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 16 13:57:22 PDT 2008

> Do we have a FITS ontology then that we can reference? Otherwise all
> we have is a set of keyword names.

It has been advocated in the past that the VO registry be used for FITS
vocabularies. Each project that produces a collection of FITS files
makes up some new keywords, and often explains them on a web page. We
could collect and store this information in a formal way with the
registry, and suggest that each FITS collection insert a keyword like
"IVORN = ivo://mysurvey.org/fits" to allow people to access registyr
data and thus get deeper explanation of the keywords than can be
provided in the 50-character comment area of the FITS card-image.

Roy

--

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670