[QUAR] Re: Expressing position in RDF

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Thu Oct 16 14:17:04 PDT 2008

Roy,

On 2008 Oct 16, at 21:57, Roy Williams wrote:

>> Do we have a FITS ontology then that we can reference? Otherwise
>> all we have is a set of keyword names.
>
> It has been advocated in the past that the VO registry be used for
> FITS vocabularies. Each project that produces a collection of FITS
> files makes up some new keywords, and often explains them on a web
> page. We could collect and store this information in a formal way
> with the registry, and suggest that each FITS collection insert a
> keyword like "IVORN = ivo://mysurvey.org/fits" to allow people to
> access registyr data and thus get deeper explanation of the keywords
> than can be provided in the 50-character comment area of the FITS
> card-image.

Up to a point.  Probably simpler is to encourage each collection to
list its keywords as an RDFSchema (of the simple format in my previous
message), and put that file at a published *HTTP* URI using the
current Best Practice techniques for doing that.  That makes it very
easy to retrieve.

Having formal names for each of the properties/keywords in the
project's set gives a well-defined start and end point for mappings
between the properties, and disambiguates them usefully.

(SKOS-type vocabularies would not be appropriate here)

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Dept Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester