skos:notation and AVM

Alasdair J G Gray agray at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 02:01:06 PDT 2008

On 2 Jul 2008, at 19:07, Rob Seaman wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2008, at 3:27 AM, Alasdair Gray wrote:
>
>> In going through the document, I have found that there is now a
>> skos:notation. To my mind, this would be a natural construct to use
>> to model the position of concepts in the avm hierarchy. Does anyone
>> object to this?
>
> Maybe you can comment on why this seems natural, the benefits, any
> significant downsides, etc?

The skos:notation has been added to the standard specifically for the
purpose of modelling taxonomical numbers.

The downsides are that not all applications may be keeping up with the
latest developments so they may just get ignored in some application.
However, this is only a minor downside and I would argue that we
should use them.

Alasdair