Vocab AND Ontology?

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Tue Sep 25 06:23:16 PDT 2007

Bernard,

   SKOS and OWL are already both RDF.  They are both triplet stores of
statements.  As far as format goes, they are nearly identical.  As you
point out, one can pull in skos into SWOOP or use my skos.owl OR you can
take a skos document and add:

<owl:ontology rdf:about="">
</owl>

Then add a few more xlmns= lines, and it becomes both an OWL document
and a skos document, which means that you can use all of the owl editors
and diagramming tools.    I think this goes under the category of having
your cake and eating too.

If you want to stick to strict skos (with those two lines in), that is
fine.  You will have a bicycle made by Ferrari. But, I just note that if
you also then use the owl:subClassOf or rdfs:subClassOf where
appropriate then the diagrams will show this structure nicely and it
will be more precise.  You will have a bicycle that goes as fast as a
Ferrari.

Or just do it in SKOS.  In either case, you will eat fish.

Ed