Vocab AND Ontology?

Bernard Vatant bernard.vatant at mondeca.com
Tue Sep 25 01:13:55 PDT 2007

Ed

Let me be clear about this once for all.
Although I've been participating in Topic Maps standard development back
in 2000-2001, I am not considering myself a "Topic Mapper", nor a
"SKOS-er" nor a "Whatev-er". We are speaking about tools and
engineering, not about religion.

I've never written : OWL is bad, SKOS is good. Please re-read my
different messages. I wrote : different tools, different purposes, so
you have to clearly define the task to achieve before defining the tool.
There is no killer language in knowledge representation. They are all
nets we throw in the ocean of reality, trying to capture whatever we
can. Depending of the nets we use, we catch different species of fish,
never the water of reality. Since I like the diversity of fish, I like
to use different kinds of nets depending on what I want to put in my
knowledge soup. But trying to catch crabs with a net designed to catch
tuna fish is not always a good idea.

Seems to me I have written clearly what I think OWL is good at, and your
star ontology is a perfect example of that. I use OWL every day since
2003, I've been following the WebOnt group work. All Mondeca
applications are built on a backbone ontology expressed in OWL, but
almost all our industrial applications also include reference thesauri
and taxonomies expressed in SKOS. And the meta-model of our data base is
indeed topic-mapppish using associations and roles. All those things in
their diversity can fit together in their right place in a semantic
architecture. The same way there is no war between radio-astronomy and
X-ray astronomy. They capture different aspects of the universe.

As a side note since you are curious about the Topic Maps vs RDF debate,
there has been a group under W3C umbrella, which delivered a note last year.
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdftm-survey/
So not only they have been speaking together, but they've done it in a
very productive way. And I remember this conversation being very active
since at least 2002, with joint meetings in various conferences ...
See also the excellent paper by Lars Marius Garshol at
http://www.ontopia.net/topicmaps/materials/tmrdf

Best

Bernard

--