SV: do we need it?

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 12:31:43 PDT 2007

> mechanisms.  We need a stable vocabulary that remains stable while we
> take a stab at a terminology so we can get on to the real part of

I'd agree with that.

> application makers, be forewarned that the vocabulary is likely to get
> tugged around on occasions (hopefully not too often).  And one of those

Are applications likely to use the SV directly or via, say, data models. I
can see a data model item having a pointer to the term/concept that it
refers to in the SV and apps using that to present a definition to the user,
but would any apps be likely to access the SV directly?

> underscores (eg gamma_ray) will turn out to be a terrible choice and
> maybe camelback (eg GammaRay) is even worse (probably it doesn't

If the terms in the SV are URIs, say http://ivoa.net/SV/cosmicBackground (to
use the format from Andrea's document), then they can remain the same while
the terms they reference, ie everything a user will be shown, can change. In
which case the decision over format is ours.

I would argue against the SV containing any structure though, so use
cosmicBackground and not cosmology.cosmicBackground.

T.