Vocabularies: formal parenthesis

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Wed Sep 12 06:50:57 PDT 2007

On 12 Sep 2007, at 11:07 am, Tony Linde wrote:
> The point I was making is that this is a *private* document and not
> one which belongs to the working group. The wg has not decided it
> wants a vocabulary document (or anything at all at this point) and
> if/when it does so decide, it will first debate the format in which
> it wants that vocabulary and then will start work on that document.
>
> If the wg decides that a Note which a person or group has submitted
> is a useful starting point for a WD then it can ask that the Note
> be copied to a WD document with the appropriate heading changes.
>
> These documents are Notes only and should be written and posted as
> such. A WD can only be created when the wg decides that it wants
> one after suitable discussion.
The main thing is that everyone knows this document was _intended_ to
induce heafty discussion, not to force anyone's hand.  It's always
easier to discuss something concrete, even if the discussion ends up
being the decision to make giant revisions.    And yes, I suppose we
do have to "vote" on whether there will be a formal WD.   However, if
there's a good chance of the vote within the semantic working group
being negative on the latter point (i.e. no WD in this direction any
time soon), then the HTN+VOEvent community will create it's own
solution - the real pressure is on to have a solution not sometime
next year but now - and all the great benefits of having a global VO
standard will go away.  This isnt a threat - that would be really
silly - but a simple fact of life.

Rick

Dr. Frederic V. Hessman     Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Institut für Astrophysik          Tel.  +49-551-39-5052
Friedrich-Hund-Platz 1         Fax +49-551-39-5043
37077 Goettingen                 Room F04-133
http://www.Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de/~hessman
MONET: a MOnitoring NEtwork of Telescopes
http://monet.Uni-Goettingen.de