Vocabularies: formal parenthesis

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Wed Sep 12 07:22:23 PDT 2007

> Here I come to the point raised by Tony.
>
> Can we say that the main subject treated in this draft is: (a) outside
> the scope of the WG and/or (b) never presented to the WG and/or (c)
> never discussed?

I'm happy to concede that the vocabulary is a suitable topic for discussion
without the wg agreeing so.

But none of this is the point I raised. I said that this wg had not
discussed the *preparation of a WD* for either this vocabulary nor for the
preceding ontology, nor has the wg agreed a format for vocabularies, nor did
the wg agree *who* should work on these documents. I would have liked to
have been on the team to produce these WDs and I'm sure there are others who
might have volunteered. The wg should have decided who would work on these
if they are to be considered as WDs. I also think the format discussion
should have happened first.

The *workgroup* was not consulted about creating the WDs and so they are
_not_ working drafts - they are personal documents and so should be posted
as NOTES.

There is nothing wrong with individuals or small groups of collaborators
producing their own work and making it known to the IVOA but such work
should be presented as NOTEs, not as WDs. As a NOTE, the document is not
contentious and is a suitable starting point for a discussion about
producing a WD.

T.