IVOA Vocabularies - WD

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 02:25:51 PDT 2007

Can I ask why it was decided to create a new schema to represent this
vocabulary when the W3C has the SKOS standard for just this field?

http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKOS
  'SKOS or Simple Knowledge Organisation System is a family of formal
languages designed for representation of thesauri, classification schemes,
taxonomies, subject-heading systems, or any other type of structured
controlled vocabulary. SKOS is built upon RDF and RDFS, and its main
objective is to enable easy publication of controlled structured
vocabularies for the Semantic Web. SKOS is currently developed within the
W3C framework.'

[also mentioned at:
   http://ivoa.net/forum/semantics/0510/0148.htm
   http://ivoa.net/forum/semantics/0703/0222.htm  ]

If there is a good reason for not using the common standard, it would be a
good idea to make that clear in the document.

T.