IVOA Vocabularies - WD

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Fri Sep 7 08:47:15 PDT 2007

Greetings.

On 2007 Sep 5, at 14:40, Andrea Preite Martinez wrote:

> the WD document "IVOA Vocabularies" v1.01 is now available at
> http://ivoa.net/Documents/latest/VOcabularies.html

>> Comments are welcome!

I am completely baffled.

The following are a few brief comments, though I echo Tony, Kjetil
and Brian's.

I appreciate the problem -- there are multiple astrophysical
vocabularies, as the document vividly points out.  I fail to
appreciate how adding a new vocabulary plus _two_ (count them) new
syntaxes addresses this.

Doug remarked:

> Since there are multiple such standards,

No, there's only one, RDF, plus a couple of standardised overlays.

> they can be complex,

RDF is about as complex as a brick.

> and they keep evolving

As Brian pointed out, RDF was standardised before XML Schemas (2004,
as the second edition of a 1999 W3C Rec), finalising a standard which
was effectively complete a decade ago[1], building on probably a
decade before _that_ of clever people thinking hard and prototyping
busily about the best way to approach this problem.  And getting it
right.

> One should also keep in mind that we might want to read this
> information
> into astronomy client applications which just want the basic
> vocabulary,
> do not need advanced inference capabilities, etc., and do not want to
> be dependent upon some complex semantic web technology.

If apps want to read, write and get value from RDF, with or without
inferencing, they can do so _today_ using industrial strength tools
[2]; if they want to read VOcabularies, they've got to wait for
someone to write, debug and port tools from scratch.

I and others have worn ourselves out trying to introduce RDF to the
VO (an area which is a more natural beneficiary of the RDF approach
than many areas which have applied it successfully).  I've tried
saying it's simple, and that it's sophisticated; I've tried saying
it's new, and that it's old; I've tried saying it's got pointy
brackets (just like XML, folks), and that it's readable; I've tried
using the word 'reasoning', and scrupulously avoiding it; I've tried
giving high-level arguments, and I have even tried, heaven help me,
showing running code; and ... nothing, no response, not even much in
the way of rebuttals, online or off.  No, the VO just carries on
inventing its own private syntaxes.  What is it I'm doing wrong?

Yes, the VO is technologically very conservative, for intelligible
reasons, but we're really very far behind the curve here.  The STP
folk are getting benefit from this (hello, Peter), it's widely used
in industry back-office applications, and the big RDF poster child is
bioinformatics.  Yes -- we've been out-technologised by the biologists.

----

For what it's worth here's how I would address the problem of
multiple vocabularies:

   1. For each of the vocabularies listed in the VOcabulary document,
describe a mechanical mapping from terms to URLs.  Use the resulting
strings as the interoperable labels (possibly compacted, if you want,
using namespace prefixes).

   2. Use RDFS to annotate these strings nonexhaustively with
descriptions, aliases, and equivalences in other vocabularies.

   3. Use standard libraries, in the language and on the platform of
your choice, to build on the result.

   4. There is no step 4.

This covers both the multiple vocabularies and the 'SV token
grammar'.  The only thing this would have difficulty with is 'NOT',
because it's well known that the concept 'not(X)' is hard to discuss
meaningfully in this context.  If you don't like that, then there are
other thoroughly shaken-down syntaxes from the last few decades of
computing which could be adapted to the purpose.

I like Kjetil's `crossing the stream for water'.  But this is the VO
crossing the warm, fast-flowing, biodiverse Amazon for water.

Best wishes,

Norman

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-rdf-syntax-971002/
[2] There's a ridiculously large number of tools, parsers and more at
<http://esw.w3.org/topic/SemanticWebTools>, of which there are a few
things that `everyone uses' (except us, of course).