IAU thesaurus in RDF (an update)

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Fri Oct 5 06:59:48 PDT 2007

>> Don't speak OWL, so If someone will suggest a complete and
>> standard OWL syntax for the entries, I'd be happy to automatically
>> produce an OWL version / include OWL elements as well, as
>> appropriate.
>
> Can you generate a version with the extended SKOS:
> skos:broaderPartitive  (PartOf)
> skos:broaderGeneric   (subClassOf)
> skos:broaderInstantive (InstanceOf, ie the unique physical object
> like ZZ_Ceti, as opposed to ZZ_Ceti_star)
> As mentioned here:
> http://
> isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/cvs-public/~checkout~/skos/drafts/
> appextensions.html ?
> We don't need narrowerPartitive etc, since that is redundant.
>
> If so, then I can convert to a full blown OWL Ontology with 3
> commands in vim. At this point it would be valid but missing the
> properties between PhysicalObjects and their Measurements.  This
> has to be done
> manually, I suppose.
>
> Then with a couple of button presses, I can split it into a bunch
> of reasonably sized namespaced files.  I was thinking most
> skos:broader items, like spectral_lines, could form separate
> namespaces.
>
> So, we are talking now about having 3 versions, all meant to be
> official:
> extended SKOS, SKOS/OWL (just add <owl></owl> and <import skos.owl/
> >), and OWL (where terms become classes). A script can be written
> to go from
> the OWL to SKOS.  The other direction loses information.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but going beyond simple broader,
narrower, and related would demand a full-blown re-analysis of the
ontological entries.   Frankly, updating content, getting the old
entries into rough correctness and legibility was already enough work.

Sounds like extended SKOS is so OWLish, that those wanting real
ontological info would be happy to have the OWL version (which one
could slowly mold into the right ontological form).   The bare-bones
SKOS looks like a token list to me, and that's all I'm interested at
first.

How about micro-OWLness as a start?  Again, if someone would tell me
explicitly what OWL-ish entries you like......

Rick

Dr. Frederic V. Hessman     Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Institut für Astrophysik          Tel.  +49-551-39-5052
Friedrich-Hund-Platz 1         Fax +49-551-39-5043
37077 Goettingen                 Room F04-133
http://www.Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de/~hessman
MONET: a MOnitoring NEtwork of Telescopes
http://monet.Uni-Goettingen.de